Our next donation days are scheduled for February and March. Please keep reading for important details:
These will be the only two book donation days for early 2022. Unfortunately, we are still unable to accept book donations outside of designated donation events. We have a large backlog of boxed books in our off-site warehouse, and the pandemic has made it hard to get them sorted and given away. But we know many of you have been saving books for us to share with the rest of the community, and we’re grateful for that!
Here’s what you need to know:
- Book donation hours are 9am-2pm on the designated days. If we have to cancel the corresponding public open hours that day, the book donation hours will also be cancelled.
- The donation limit will be 4 boxes per family. Boxes must be small enough that one person can lift them when full.
- We can accept all types of books except encyclopedia sets.
- We can accept all types of popular and hobby magazines, but we can’t accept sets of academic/technical/professional journals.
- We can accept all types of mixed media except cassette tapes. Reminder: no home-made content, please.
- Please don’t bring us books that are moldy, sticky, stinky, or missing pages/covers.
- All incoming book donations must be counted. This is a relatively new policy and we are still learning how to do this efficiently; thank you in advance for your understanding.
- Unfortunately, we can’t come pick up book donations, nor can we help you unload them from your vehicle.
- If you have more than 4 boxes of books for children or young adults that you wish to donate, please Contact us separately.
We can only accept book donations as outlined above. If you leave books outside of donation hours, you may be cited by the City for illegal dumping. Thank you for your understanding.
There are currently no restrictions on wish list supplies or non-book donations.
Please support us through our charity page at the PayPal Giving Fund. We will receive 100% of your donation, with no fees to you or us. If you are located out-of-state, please use this option.
Take me to the PayPal Giving Fund page
If you are local to Maryland, you may also donate via Donorbox using the form below:
The IRS has granted a full, retroactive reinstatement of our nonprofit status. According to our IRS determination letter, donors may deduct contributions they make to us, and we are eligible to receive tax-deductible bequests, devises, transfers, or gifts. Please consult a tax professional if you need information about how our retroactive reinstatement affects prior donations made during the revocation period.
A copy of the current financial statement of The Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc. is available by writing to 3001 Vineyard Ln., Baltimore MD 21218. Documents and information submitted under the Maryland Solicitations Act are also available, for the cost of postage and copies, from the Maryland Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis MD 21401, (410) 974-5534.