Thank you very much for your patience with our limited capacity to accept donations. We are truly grateful to everyone who has books to donate and share with the community. We have made good progress on the backlog of boxed books in our off-site warehouse… and the good news is that we are now accepting books monthly! Donation days will coincide with our public openings in early 2023.
Donation hours are 9a-2p on:
- Sun, Feb 12
- Sat, Mar 11
- Sat, Apr 8
- Sun, May 14
- Sun, Jun 11
Please read the important information about hours and donation limits below, and check back because we will update this page if we are able to increase donation limits or expand donation hours.
- Book donation hours are 9am-2pm on the designated days.
- If there’s snow, ice, or extreme cold, please check our website for a possible cancellation before you leave home.
- If we have to cancel the corresponding public open hours that day, the book donation hours will also be canceled.
- The donation limit is 6 boxes per family. Boxes must be small enough that one person can lift them when full.
- We particularly welcome donations of popular fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, classics, non-diet cookbooks, English dictionaries, and Bibles. We’re finding it hard to keep these shelves restocked.
- We accept all types of books except encyclopedia sets.
- We accept all types of popular and hobby magazines, but we can’t accept sets of academic/technical/professional journals.
- We accept all types of mixed media except audio cassette tapes. Reminder: no home-made content, please.
- Please don’t bring us books that are moldy, sticky, stinky, or missing pages/covers. (Missing dust-jackets are not a problem.)
- All incoming book donations must be counted. If you need a donation receipt, please mention that right up front. We’ll need to count your books separately. Thanks in advance for your patience!
- Unfortunately, we can’t come pick up book donations.
- If you have more than six boxes of books that you wish to donate, please bring 6 boxes on a scheduled donation day and Contact us separately about the rest.
We can only accept book donations as outlined above. If you leave books outside of donation hours, you may be cited by the City for illegal dumping. Thank you for your understanding.
There are currently no restrictions on wish list supplies or non-book donations.
Please support us through our charity page at the PayPal Giving Fund. We will receive 100% of your donation, with no fees to you or us. If you are located out-of-state, please use this option.
Take me to the PayPal Giving Fund page
If you are local to Maryland, you may also donate via Donorbox using the form below:
The IRS has granted a full, retroactive reinstatement of our nonprofit status. According to our IRS determination letter, donors may deduct contributions they make to us, and we are eligible to receive tax-deductible bequests, devises, transfers, or gifts. Please consult a tax professional if you need information about how our retroactive reinstatement affects prior donations made during the revocation period.
A copy of the current financial statement of The Book Thing of Baltimore, Inc. is available by writing to 3001 Vineyard Ln., Baltimore MD 21218. Documents and information submitted under the Maryland Solicitations Act are also available, for the cost of postage and copies, from the Maryland Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis MD 21401, (410) 974-5534.