Hello Book Thing friends,
Thank you to everyone who volunteered or dropped off books at our January donation day! We received 9,436 books and 1,683 non-books.
We will continue our series of book giveaways falling on the second full weekend of the month, pandemic and weather permitting. Limited book donation hours coincide with each public opening. Our events alternate between Saturday and Sunday.
- Sun, Feb 12 – 9a-2p/5p – details below
- Sat, Mar 11 – details TBD
- Sat,* Apr 8 – details TBD
- Sun, May 14 – details TBD
- Sun,* June 11 – details TBD
Please keep in mind that now is the season when winter weather can sometimes force last-minute cancellations. Cancellations will be posted to our website and social media if necessary.
* Please note: Our monthly openings generally alternate between Saturday and Sunday. However, to avoid a conflict with Easter, we will hold two Saturday events followed by two Sunday events for March through June.
Indoor book giveaway: Sunday, Feb 12, 9am-5pm
We will allow patrons into the building to select their own books on Feb 12th, using a timed-entry format. As usual, all lines will form outdoors. Dress for the weather, bring an umbrella if it’s rainy, etc. Here’s what else you need to know:
- Please remember that masks are still required at The Book Thing for all patrons. (If you have spare masks you want to donate to us, that would be amazing – we’re running low since lots of people forget to bring one!)
- 80 patrons will be permitted to enter on the hour each hour from 9am to 4pm. The first entrance will be at 9am, and the last entrance at 4pm. All patrons must exit before 5pm.
- The line is always longest for the morning entrances.
- Our system is first-come, first-served; there are no reservations – just come get in line!
- Patrons will have 55 minutes to browse our stacks, select their books, and exit the building. The time limit will be strictly enforced. You may get back in line.
- Upon exiting, patrons will form an outdoor line to count their books and sign out (even if it’s raining).
- If a patron exits early, a new patron who is waiting may enter “on standby” and use the remainder of the 55 minute time slot. This new patron will not be permitted to stay beyond the end of the time slot, extend into the next time slot, or hold their original place in line for a later time slot. Standby entry means you accept that you will have less than 55 minutes to browse.
- Please don’t be deterred by our timed-entry format. It helps keep the line moving so that you get a chance to browse sooner, and it lets us serve more patrons.
- Patrons are responsible for their own social distancing inside the building.
- One parent may be accompanied by a maximum of three children, and every child must be accompanied by an adult. For everyone’s safety, please ensure your children are well-supervised – our kids’ section is always very busy and crowded! Also, please make sure your child wears a mask.
- Patrons will enter through the red room door and exit through the blue room door.
- The restroom will be available, but you will not be permitted to enter the building to use it except when it’s your turn to be inside browsing for books. Please plan accordingly.
- We have lots and lots of spare boxes available to hold your books!
- Out of courtesy to other patrons and to facilitate traffic flow, please leave your large boxes/wagons/etc. outside the exit door and fill them an armful at a time, rather than carting them around with you.
Book donations: 9a-2p
We will open the book donation window on Feb 12 from 9am to 2pm only. We welcome all book donations, and especially popular fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, classics, non-diet cookbooks, English dictionaries, and Bibles. We’re finding it hard to keep these shelves restocked.
- Book donation hours are 9am-2pm on 2/12. If we have to cancel the book giveaway for any reason, the book donation hours will also be canceled.
- The donation limit is 6 boxes per family. Boxes must be small enough that one person can lift them when full.
- We accept all types of books except encyclopedia sets.
- We accept all types of popular and hobby magazines, but we can’t accept sets of academic/technical/professional journals.
- We accept all types of mixed media except audio cassette tapes. Reminder: no home-made content, please.
- Please don’t bring us books that are moldy, sticky, stinky, or missing pages/covers.
- If you need a donation receipt, please mention that right up front. We’ll need to count your books separately. Thanks in advance for your patience!
- Unfortunately, we can’t come pick up book donations, nor can we help you unload them from your vehicle.
- If you have more than 6 boxes of books that you wish to donate, please bring 6 boxes on 2/12 and Contact us separately about the rest.
- We can only accept book donations as outlined above. If you leave books outside of donation hours, you may be cited by the City for illegal dumping.
Finally, if you are interested in volunteering with us, please fill out the Contact form. We are excited to be moving forward on small-group trainings for new volunteers.