Hello Book Thing friends,
Our June opening was busy and the weather cooperated! We recorded 577 entrances and 464 sign-outs totaling 10,189 books and 304 non-books. A huge thank you to everyone who volunteered – including the team from the Amazon MTN2 facility in Aberdeen – as well as to everyone who took books home!
We will continue our series of book giveaways falling on the second full weekend of the month throughout the summer, pandemic permitting. Our events always alternate between Saturday and Sunday.
- Sat, July 9 – from 9a-4/5p. Please see below for details. No book donations, please.
- Sun, Aug 14 – details TBD
- Sat, Sept 10 – details TBD
We’re excited to share that our children’s/YA section is well-stocked this month thanks in part to another generous donation of books from Discover Books.
Indoor book giveaway: Saturday, July 9, 9am-5pm
We will allow patrons into the building to select their own books on July 9th, using a timed-entry format. As usual, all lines will form outdoors. Dress for the weather, bring an umbrella if it’s rainy, etc. Here’s what else you need to know:
- Please remember that masks are still required at The Book Thing for all patrons.
- 65 patrons will be permitted to enter on the hour each hour from 9am to 4pm. The first entrance will be at 9am, and the last entrance at 4pm. All patrons must exit before 5pm.
- The line is generally longest for the morning entrances.
- Patrons will have 55 minutes to browse our stacks, select their books, and exit the building. The time limit will be strictly enforced. You may get back in line.
- Upon exiting, patrons will form an outdoor line to count their books and sign out (even if it’s raining).
- If a patron exits early, a new patron who is waiting may enter “on standby” and use the remainder of the 55 minute time slot. This new patron will not be permitted to stay beyond the end of the time slot, extend into the next time slot, or hold their original place in line for a later time slot. Standby entry means you accept that you will have less than 55 minutes to browse.
- Please don’t be deterred by our timed-entry format. It helps keep the line moving so that you get a chance to browse sooner, and it lets us serve more patrons.
- Patrons are responsible for their own social distancing inside the building.
- One parent may be accompanied by a maximum of two children, and every child must be accompanied by an adult. Please make sure your child wears a mask.
- Patrons will enter through the red room door and exit through the blue room door.
- The restroom will be available, but you will not be permitted to enter the building to use it except when it’s your turn to be inside browsing for books. Please plan accordingly.
- We have lots of spare boxes available to hold your books!
Can I donate books or volunteer?
We aren’t accepting book donations on July 9th, but stay tuned for book donation days in late summer / early fall. Please keep an eye on our Donate page, which will be updated with dates/etc. once we have more information available.
If you are interested in volunteering with us in the future, please fill out the Contact form. We are excited to be moving forward on trainings for small groups of new volunteers for the first time since the start of the pandemic.