Hello Book Thing friends,
Our May opening was a bit slower-paced with the wet weather last month, especially in the afternoon… but even so, we recorded 488 entrances, as well as 443 sign-outs totaling 9,399 books and 561 non-books. A huge thank you to everyone who volunteered or took books home!
We will continue our series of book giveaways falling on the second full weekend of the month throughout the summer, pandemic permitting. Our events always alternate between Saturday and Sunday.
- Sun, June 12 from 9a-4/5p. Please see below for details. No book donations.
- Sat, July 9 – details TBD
- Sun, Aug 14 – details TBD
- Sat, Sept 10 – details TBD
Indoor book giveaway: Sunday, June 12, 9am-4pm
We will allow patrons into the building to select their own books on June 12th, using a timed-entry format. As usual, all lines will form outdoors. Dress for the weather, bring an umbrella if it’s rainy, etc. Here’s what else you need to know:
- Please remember that masks are still required at The Book Thing for all patrons.
- 65 patrons will be permitted to enter on the hour each hour from 9am to 4pm. The first entrance will be at 9am, and the last entrance at 4pm. All patrons must exit before 5pm.
- The line is generally longest for the morning entrances.
- Patrons will have 55 minutes to browse our stacks, select their books, and exit the building. The time limit will be strictly enforced. You may get back in line.
- Upon exiting, patrons will form an outdoor line to count their books and sign out (even if it’s raining).
- If a patron exits early, a new patron who is waiting may enter “on standby” and use the remainder of the 55 minute time slot. This new patron will not be permitted to stay beyond the end of the time slot, extend into the next time slot, or hold their original place in line for a later time slot. Standby entry means you accept that you will have less than 55 minutes to browse.
- Please don’t be deterred by our timed-entry format. It helps keep the line moving so that you get a chance to browse sooner, and it lets us serve more patrons.
- Patrons are responsible for their own social distancing inside the building.
- A parent may be accompanied by one (and only one) child, and every child must be accompanied by one adult. Please make sure your child wears a mask.
- Patrons will enter through the red room door and exit through the blue room door.
- The restroom will be available, but you will not be permitted to enter the building to use it except when it’s your turn to be inside browsing for books. Please plan accordingly.
- We have lots of spare boxes available to hold your books!
Can I donate books or volunteer?
We aren’t accepting book donations on June 12th. We held two book donation days earlier this year. We’re still working through the backlog of unsorted books from our off-site warehouse, so the next donation days have not yet been scheduled. They are likely to be in the fall. Please see our Donate page for more information.
If you are interested in volunteering with us in the future, please fill out the Contact form. We are excited to be moving forward on trainings for small groups of new volunteers for the first time since the start of the pandemic.