Hello Book Thing friends,
With pleasant, dry weather last month we saw a great turnout at our April opening – and we gave away a record number of books! Patrons adopted 13,199 books and 852 non-books, the largest total for any of our events since the start of the pandemic. There was a line for entrance almost all day long, though it moved steadily. A huge thank you to everyone who volunteered or took books home!
We will continue our series of book giveaways falling on the second full weekend of the month throughout the spring and summer, pandemic permitting. Our events always alternate between Saturday and Sunday.
- Sat, May 14 from 9a-4/5p. Please see below for details. No book donations.
- Sun, June 12 – details TBD
- Sat, July 9 – details TBD
- Sun, Aug 14 – details TBD
- Sat, Sept 10 – details TBD
Indoor book giveaway: Saturday, May 14, 9am-4pm
We will allow patrons into the building to select their own books on May 14th, using a timed-entry format. Lines may be a bit longer this month because we’ve reduced the number of patrons permitted inside. While we’d hoped to raise the limit rather than lower it, we have to take care of the volunteers who keep TBT running! A number of them have personal situations that require extra covid precautions, and new infection rates have risen back up to levels not seen since last fall. :/ As usual, all lines will form outdoors. Dress for the weather, bring an umbrella if it’s rainy, etc. Here’s what else you need to know:
- Please remember that masks are still required at The Book Thing for all patrons. Our supply of disposable masks is a bit short; it would be great if you could bring your own.
- 65 patrons will be permitted to enter on the hour each hour from 9am to 4pm. The first entrance will be at 9am, and the last entrance at 4pm. All patrons must exit before 5pm.
- The line is generally longest for the morning entrances.
- Patrons will have 55 minutes to browse our stacks, select their books, and exit the building. The time limit will be strictly enforced. You may get back in line.
- Upon exiting, patrons will form an outdoor line to count their books and sign out (even if it’s raining).
- If a patron exits early, a new patron who is waiting may enter “on standby” and use the remainder of the 55 minute time slot. This new patron will not be permitted to stay beyond the end of the time slot, extend into the next time slot, or hold their original place in line for a later time slot. Standby entry means you accept that you will have less than 55 minutes to browse.
- Please don’t be deterred by our timed-entry format. It helps keep the line moving so that you get a chance to browse sooner, and it lets us serve more patrons.
- Patrons are responsible for their own social distancing inside the building.
- A parent may be accompanied by one (and only one) child, and every child must be accompanied by one adult. Please make sure your child wears a mask.
- Patrons will enter through the red room door and exit through the blue room door.
- The restroom will be available, but you will not be permitted to enter the building to use it except when it’s your turn to be inside browsing for books. Please plan accordingly.
- We have lots of spare boxes available to hold your books!
Can I donate books or volunteer?
We aren’t accepting book donations on May 14th. We held two book donation days in February and March, and they were the only donation days on the calendar for early 2022. We’re still working through the backlog of unsorted books from our off-site warehouse, so the next donation days have not been scheduled. They are likely to be in the fall. Please see our Donate page for more information.
If you are interested in volunteering with us in the future, please fill out the Contact form. We are excited to be moving forward on trainings for small groups of new volunteers for the first time since the start of the pandemic.