Hello Book Thing friends,
At our November book giveaway, patrons adopted 12,522 books and 280 “non-books.” Thank you to everyone who was able to attend! Things were busy, and there was a line for entrance all day long. At our final event of the year, we’ll make some adjustments to keep the line moving better and be able to serve more patrons.
We send out a heartfelt thanks to everyone who has volunteered, donated books, supported us financially, or contributed wishlist items this year. Without you, we wouldn’t be here. If you do charitable giving at the end of the year, we hope you will consider supporting The Book Thing’s mission: putting unwanted books into the hands of those who want them, for free. Please visit our Donate page for more information.
December marks the last month of the year, and thus the last event in our series of book giveaways falling on the second full weekend of the month throughout 2021. Our events always alternate between Saturday and Sunday.
- Sat Dec 11 – from 9a-4:55p – details below, no book donations
We’re excited to share that our children’s/YA section is well-stocked again this month thanks in part to another generous donation of books from Discover Books.
Dates for book giveaways and donation days in early 2022 will be forthcoming in a future announcement. Don’t worry, we’re not going anywhere!
Indoor book giveaway: Saturday, Dec 11, 9am-4:55pm
We will allow patrons into the building to select their own books on Dec 11th, using a timed-entry format. All lines will form outdoors. Dress for the weather, bring an umbrella if it’s rainy, etc. Here’s what you need to know:
- Masks are required, even if you’re vaccinated.
- At least 55 patrons will be permitted to enter on the hour each hour from 9am to 4pm. The first entrance will be at 9am, and the last entrance at 4pm. FYI, the line is often longest for the morning entrances.
- Patrons will have 55 minutes to browse our stacks, select their books, and exit the building. The time limit will be strictly enforced. You may get back in line.
- Upon exiting, patrons will form an outdoor line to count their books and sign out. Yes, even if it’s raining.
- If a patron exits early, a new patron who is waiting may enter on “stand by” and use the remainder of the 55 minute time slot. This new patron will not be permitted to stay beyond the end of the time slot, extend into the next time slot, or hold their original place in line for a later time slot. “Stand by” entry means you accept that you will have less than 55 minutes to browse.
- Please don’t be deterred by our timed-entry format. From past experience, we know it helps keep the line moving so that you get a chance to browse sooner… and if we’re busy, this lets us serve more total patrons. We will increase the indoor headcount limit to 65 people on the day of the event, COVID stats permitting.
- Patrons are responsible for their own social distancing inside the building.
- A parent may be accompanied by one (and only one) child, and every child must be accompanied by one adult. Many kids aren’t vaccinated yet. Please make sure your child wears a mask.
- Patrons will enter through the red room door and exit through the blue room door.
- The restroom will be available, but you will not be permitted to enter the building to use it except when it’s your turn to be inside browsing for books. Please plan accordingly.
- Spare boxes will be available to hold your books.
- Book donations will not be accepted on Dec 11th. More information.
Stay safe and healthy and warm out there. And don’t forget, free books make great gifts for holidays or anytime!