Hello Book Thing friends,
Thank you to everyone who was able to come to our August book giveaway! We were happy to see many educators getting ready for the fall back-to-school season. Patrons adopted 12,586 books and 400 “non-books.” It was great to see so many items going out the door after we had accepted book donations in June and July! This was progress in the right direction.
We will continue our book giveaways on the second full weekend of the month for the rest of the year, pandemic permitting. As always, our events alternate between Saturday and Sunday.
- Sun Sept 12 from 9a-4:45p – no book donations, details below.
- Sat Oct 9 – details TBD
- Sun Nov 14 – details TBD
- Sat Dec 11 – details TBD
We are still dealing with a large backlog of books, so we don’t have any more book donation days scheduled at this time. However, if you have several boxes of children’s books that you wish to donate, please fill out the Contact form on our website.
Indoor book giveaway: Sunday, Sept 12, 9am-4:45pm
We will allow patrons into the building to select their own books on Sept 12th, using a limited-entry format. All lines will form outdoors. Dress for the weather, bring an umbrella if it’s rainy, etc. Here’s what you need to know:
- Masks are required, even if you’re vaccinated.
- 65 patrons will be permitted in the building at any given time. We will use a “one in, one out” method to respect this limit.
- We won’t ask everyone to leave after 50 min the way we did earlier this summer, but if the entrance line isn’t moving, we reserve the right to empty the building at 11am, 1pm and/or 3pm to give new patrons a chance to enter. (Yes, you can get back in line.)
- Upon exiting, patrons will form an outdoor line to count their books and sign out. Yes, even if it’s raining.
- The first entrance will be at 9am. Last entrance at 4:45pm so that all patrons have exited the building and signed out by 5pm.
- Patrons are responsible for their own social distancing inside the building.
- A parent may be accompanied by one (and only one) child, and every child must be accompanied by one adult. We worry that many kids can’t get vaccinated yet. Please make sure your child wears a mask.
- Patrons will enter through the red room door and exit through the blue room door.
- The restroom will be available, but you will not be permitted to enter the building to use it except when it’s your turn to be inside browsing for books. Please plan accordingly.
- Spare boxes will be available to hold your books.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we continue to be open only once a month for now.