Hello Book Thing friends,
As we promised in our August update, we have not forgotten home-schoolers and parents who will be supervising their children’s remote learning this fall. We will be holding a special, education-focused outdoor book give-away event on Sunday 9/6.
Please understand that this will NOT be a normal weekend at The Book Thing. Keeping things safe, simple, and fair is our main concern. We will not be able to serve as many patrons as we can under normal, indoor circumstances. Social distancing rules will be in place, but we will be unable to make extra accommodations for high-risk individuals. Here’s what you need to know:
- Masks are required. Bring your own. We cannot serve anyone who is not wearing a mask. We recommend you bring your own hand sanitizer as well.
- Hours are tentatively set for 9a-5p. We may close early in the event of afternoon thunderstorms, excessive heat, etc. In case of heavy, continuous rain, the rain date is Sunday 9/13.
- You will need to count your books and sign out when you exit the line.
- All patrons must be through the line and signed out before 5p. (If necessary, we will cut off the line in the late afternoon or set a “last admittance” to ensure the 5pm end time.)
- Books will be arranged in boxes spaced out on the ground in the rear parking lot by the mural. You will need to stoop and lift the books you want. A socially-distanced line of patrons will advance single-file through the array of boxes, giving everyone the opportunity to select books.
- There will be three boxes of books at each station: one box with kids’ books, one box with books and materials from our “education” and “home-school” sections, and one box containing unsorted books from other categories. If you’re an adult looking for pleasure reading, this event probably isn’t for you.
- We will not be accepting any book donations.
- The building is closed to the public, and we cannot allow any patrons inside. There is no outdoor restroom. Please plan accordingly.
- This is an outdoor event. There will be no place to sit. Please dress for the weather, bring an umbrella in case of a minor sprinkle, etc.
- Please bring your own bag or box to put your books in if you want to adopt more than an armful of books. We will not have spare boxes available.
- Even if you’re “quarantining” with family or roommates, you will need to go through the line alone: we cannot allow clusters of people, even if they are together.
- A parent may be accompanied by a single child, and every child must be accompanied by one (and only one) adult. This event isn’t great for kids: if you can, we recommend leaving them at home and selecting books for them.
- You may go through the line more than once.
- For the safety of volunteers and patrons who may be severely allergic, please don’t wear powdered latex gloves.
- There will be limited parking available in the lot in front of our building. There is also street parking in the surrounding neighborhood. There will be no parking in the rear lot by the mural.
- We are not able to accept walk-up volunteers at this event.
Thank you for your patience and understanding with the rules of this book giveaway. We realize that it will be harder to find the books you want, and that the wait in line may be long. Our primary concern is the health and safety of our volunteers, staff, and you — our community! Please consider this event as an errand to pick up needed educational materials, not as a fun weekend outing.
If you are interested in volunteering on the 6th, you may fill out the Contact form. We anticipate staffing this book give-away primarily with experienced volunteers, but we will get in touch if we need extra hands.
P.S. If this all sounds familiar, that’s because it is! We learned from our first outdoor giveaway back in July, and are planning a similar format with a few adjustments.