We are officially open again!
We will be open every Saturday and Sunday 9am-5pm.
Donations can be made 24/7
Volunteer Hours: Monday-Friday 10-4, | Saturday and Sunday 9-5.
To put unwanted books into the hands of those who want them.
All books are absolutely FREE. All the books you take have to be stamped,”Not for Resale.”
All the books have been stamped “not for resale” and are not to be resold. We mean it. Please honor this request.
You can only take 150,000 per day, per person. If you are working with an organization that needs a large amount of books, make sure to contact us before coming in. We’re happy to help, but large orders require planning and coordination.
We are open EVERY (52) Saturday and Sunday from 9am–5pm, including holidays and blizzards. There are drop-off bins by the entrance for after-hours donations. We also periodically open during off-hours; check our social media pages and website for announcements.
We get them from businesses, organizations, and your individual donations.
Become a volunteer! Fulfill a need listed on our wish list! Donate funds through our website! Spread the word about The Book Thing around your community! We truly appreciate any type of support.
Yes, please. You can bring books and magazines when you come to browse, or drop them off after-hours in the bins. We accept books and magazines regardless of age or subject matter. We will also take records, CDs, DVDs, phones, photographs and tablets.
We’d rather you didn’t. Pass them along! Give them to your neighbors, leave them at a bus stop or Laundromat… Spread the books to people who might not know to come to us.
Your first step should always be to look for a place to donate in your area. However, if you’re convinced that The Book Thing should be the recipient, ship the books to 3001 Vineyard Lane in Baltimore, MD 21218.
All donations are tax-deductible, and we can provide receipts for the number of books donated. To get a receipt, either make your donation during our operating hours or call beforehand to ensure a Book Thing representative will be present .
Yes but we earn less than 1/4 of 1% – to keep the lights on.
Look for books at Peabody Heights Brewery and keep your ears open for news about other upcoming installations. We also travel to events around the city; make sure to follow our social media accounts for announcements.
Maybe? We move such a large volume of books that it is difficult for us to keep track of what we have. Come down and look for yourself! Our volunteers can point you in the right direction. Besides, the search is half the fun- who knows what else you might find!
From the south (Washington, D.C.)
- Take I-95 North
- Merge onto I-395 North (exit 53) to Martin Luther King Blvd/downtown
- Keep right onto Martin Luther King Blvd
- Make a slight left at N Howard Street
- Turn right at 28th Street
- Turn left at Greenmount Avenue/MD Rt. 45
- Half a block after 30th Street, Vineyard Lane is on your left.
- When you turn into Vineyard Lane, you will quickly see our building on your left.
From the north (via I-83)
- Take I-83 South toward Baltimore/downtown
- Take the 28th Street exit (exit 7), then follow signs to 28th Street
- From 28th street, turn left at Greenmount Avenue/MD Rt. 45
- After you pass 30th Street, watch for Vineyard Lane on your left. When you turn into Vineyard Lane, you will quickly see our building on your left
From Towson / North Baltimore
- Take York Road/MD Rt. 45 South towards downtown.
- At 33rd Street, York Road turns into Greenmount Avenue.
- After you pass E 31st Street, take the next right into the one-way Vineyard Lane. You will quickly see our building on your left.
Take CityLink Red, #22 & #52 Bus to the Greenmount Avenue & 30th Street (Waverly) stop.
- Head north on Greenmount Avenue toward E 30th Street.
- Turn left onto Vineyard Lane.
Take #95 & #51 Bus to the Charles St & 31st ST stop.
- Head south on N Charles St toward E 30th Street.
- Turn left on E 30th Street.
- Turn left onto Vineyard Lane.
Points of Interest
Free Books at Peabody Heights Brewery
The Peabody Heights Brewery is now home to 3 bookcases of free books.
Public hours are Wednesday and Friday (5-9pm) and Saturday (11am-4pm).
401 E 30th St, Baltimore, MD 21218
Please do not bring or return any books to the Brewery.
You don’t need to buy a beer to get books.
Make a Donation If you Want
Donate to The Book Thing
All donations are done through securely through PayPal.